Saturday, July 27, 2013

To Run With Perseverence

   I have set the two following sites to come up every time I bring up the internet: Bible Gateway, and Google. The second is my go-to site for everything from email to surfing. The first, however, is a sort of self-set push for myself. You see, Bible Gateway has a "Verse of the day", and I have taken to forcing myself to read the verse at least once before starting my internet for the day. Gets me real close to God, I know, but no matter how tired or in a rush I am, the verse comes first.
  Today's verse was Romans 12:1, a very popular (and frankly, overused, in my opinion) verse that got to me today. It goes like, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." 
   This really got to me today. You see, my genetics aren't the greatest on my dad's side, and I seem to have many of his traits (for better or worse). One of which is not so great feet. Walking for me has be very painful for the past few days, and now has gotten me into physical therapy 3 or more times a week and racked up various bills totaling together in the hundreds for my parents.
  When I read this verse, I was a bit annoyed at God, as I sometimes get. Things like, "It's not fair that I can't walk" and "Why now? Heck, why ever?" and "What the heck do you expect out of me, God? You want me to hobble down the race of life with one foot?" crossed my mind.  And then, it struck me, how much I am spiritually limping down the race already. How we all are, in humanity. But it doesn't matter how we are physically, that is why this isn't a physical race. It is a spiritual one, and these genetics are part of the race marked out for me. Just like a physical race, it is going to be hard for me. What does it matter? This is what God wants for me, and I need to give it my all, even if that means not being physically up to par all the time with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment