Sunday, December 14, 2014

Dress time!

     Okay, so to all ten of you who read this, I am soo excited! So, I have been itching to sew lately! I don't usually get along with the sewing machine, but I realllly want to make my own gala (prom, for those of you who don't go to my private school) dress, and i have very little experience with sewing dresses.
   In comes excitement! So, my English teacher, Ms.Griffin, has us reading The Great Gatsby. Weird, frustrating book, you should read it if you haven't already. So she had this idea to throw a Gatsby party when we come back to school, since we have spirit week and have a little more freedom than our uniform. If we all dress up, we can get extra credit. I was like yeah, sure, extra credit, let's go. But I don't have any dresses that would remotely work.
   So I went looking on google image (girl's bff right there) and found that my wardrobe for the Roaring Twenties is worse than I thought. I have nothing that works. So next, switching to normal google web search, I go looking for patterns. And... Ding!
    I found a blog (please go visit it, it is possibly my new favorite place on the web), http://cationdesigns.blogspot.ca/2012/09/the-roaring-twenties-dress-and-another.html. And it had a pattern for free that you can print out!!!! So yesterday's joy was taping that together, only to realize, crap, this woman's a size small. I'm not. So then I had to modify the pattern from its 34" bust and 29" waist to my 39" bust and 33" waist. Actually less hard than I thought, since the pattern shrunk slightly during printing, so I just had to add an inch to all of the seam edges.


    Next issue, what fabric? I went exploring in my grandma's basement, but no fabric was quite noble enough. Or rather, none appealed to my taste with this dress. But, never fear, Joann Fabrics had the solution! 3 yards and 23 dollars later, I have a gorgeous blue knitted fabric interwoven with silver threads. And it's sooooo soft!!! The three or four people who helped me at the store all made over how gorgeous and how soft it is, and this was genuine, "Wow, this is awesome!" not just "Oh, wow. Can I get paid now?" I know in the picture it might not look all that great, but trust me, in real life it is mind-blowing!


     So I can't wait! I have homework to do this weekend, so it will probably start to happen next week, but I just can't get over how great this is going to be! And don't forget to check out my new favorite blogger!

No comments:

Post a Comment